Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Gold Panning, Museums, and Boats: Whitehorse Day Two!

We started day two in Whitehorse bright and early at the Visitor Information Centre where we got our "Yukon Gold" Passports that we collect stamps in from various sights around Yukon.
 
 
The girls were very fascinated with the light up map of Yukon. It outlined all of the towns and cities and rivers etc. It was pretty cool!
 
 
The beautiful view of the Yukon River from behind the visitor centre.
 
 
One of the many pictures I have of the riverfront trolley... stay tuned to hear the story of the trolley! :)
 
The girls in front of statues of the wolf and crow. Part of Yukon's history involves the two clans, wolf and crow. Wolves can only marry crows and vice versa. You can read more about it here.
 
 
This beautiful totem pole is right in the middle of town. I took so many pictures of it trying to capture all of the little details, but I just couldn't do it justice.
 
One of my favourite parts of the trip was visiting the MacBride Museum. There were a ton of animals there that are native to the area, old equipment and artifacts from the gold rush, and the opportunity to do some gold panning!
 
This is an albino moose. It was the weirdest, creepiest, most interesting thing I have seen in a long time! These moose were also HUGE! I mean look how close the antlers are to the roof! I have never been a fan of taxidermy, but the animals in this museum were really cool!
 
I thought this representation of the Northern Lights was really pretty, I would definitely hang this in my room!
 
Little ermines (they were very small!)
 
 
The Beaver oh the Beaver is a beautiful sight to see...
(you get a million cool points if you know what that is from!)
 
 
Even though the real Sam McGee is not the same Sam McGee in "The Cremation of Sam McGee" it was still pretty cool to see the real Sam McGee's cabin! (How many times can you say Sam McGee in one sentence :P)
 
 
This map is of the rivers in the Yukon and has real gold nuggets showing the concentration of gold in the rivers. It was really cool! I thought it was quite amusing that there was next to no gold in the Yukon River (according to this map anyways).
 
 
Then the fun began! We got to do our very own gold panning!
 
 
I am still very optimistic while I am panning in this picture. Unfortunately I did not find any gold- I guess that is the reality of being a gold miner, sometimes you are disappointed. One of the other leaders gave me her gold though because she is an awesome person! We also found two tiny specks when we were helping clean up so that is a bonus!
 
 
After gold panning we pretty much ran to the S.S. Klondike a few blocks away. I LOVE boats so it was a real thrill for me to see and be on this one. I took over 100 pictures and squealed with joy throughout the whole thing. It was awesome!
 
 
It is such an amazing sight to see, the boat just sitting on the ground. It gives me chills...
 
 
Even though it was scorching hot I was on a bit of a rush and loved seeing this ship! It was definitely a highlight of the trip for me.
 

The beautiful scenery in Yukon is absolutely breathtaking. This picture was taken outside of the S.S. Klondike. The Yukon River is actually pretty dangerous, but it is nice to look at! :)


The back of the ship


I am sure I have mentioned that I am a little bit obsessed with the Titanic and there were a lot of things on the Klondike that reminded me of the Titanic like the lifeboats and the notes on the wall like in the next picture "2nd class passengers not allowed forward of this notice."


 
All of the girls at the bow of the ship. They all took turns ringing the bell and I am sure the other visitors were thrilled when we left!
 


I just loved the S.S. Klondike! The fact that it is a National Historic Site just made it even better!


One of the funniest memories from the trip was with the trolley driver named John. He gave us a ride to the trolley garage when he was technically closed. The girls were very excited about it and wanted to see John every day for the rest of the trip!


Day Two was a very busy day and day three is even busier! Stay tuned to see what we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment