Friday, August 30, 2013

Facing Fears and Fish, and Finding Fun: Whitehorse Day Five!

Our morning started off bright and early with a visit to Miles Canyon for a guided interpretive hike and a special event that showcased artists from the area out in nature. We piled into the tank (our white fifteen passenger van for a few days) and hit the road! 
 
I am TERRIFIED of suspension bridges. I am a two feet on the solid ground kind of person and the idea of having to cross a suspension bridge to get to the hiking part did not sit well with me. In fact I almost considered not doing the hike, but I faced my fears and did it- even if I had to scamper and gently move girls out of my way. :) 
 
 
We made it to the other side and it was so worth it. I mean look at this place! It is the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen! 
This artist did so much of his painting in the time we first walked past him and when we came back it was amazing! I loved his piece and I would love to see it completed. 

Before...
 

After! 
 
 
Watch out for cross country skiing sasquatches! 
 


This is my favourite picture from the whole trip. It is a historical photograph of the cart that was set up to carry the wealthy's gear down the path lined up with the land today. It is SO cool to me to see these sort of things and get the human connections behind them. 
 


The purpose of the hike was to go and see Canyon City. The term city is used very loosely in this case as all it is now is rusty cans, outlines of buildings and the history behind it. Of course I loved it! The fact that there were so many things that showed how the gold prospectors lived is amazing to me. As we were looking at the tin cans we could see that some used can openers, while others used knives, and others had all sorts of tools. It was amazing- I get chills just thinking about all of the trouble the men and women had to go through to try and find their fortune. It is a really cool part of Canada's history that I really didn't know too much about. 

 


Here is some of the other art we saw on our hike!
 

The very scary suspension bridge!
 



On our way back into the city we saw this plane landing on the water. The girls were very interested in it!

We decided to check out this 50s diner for lunch and it was delicious! Grease was on repeat and the food was excellent. I love going to restaurants that are an experience and a meal.


After our hike at Miles Canyon we headed down to the salmon ladder to hopefully see some fish! When we got there there were no fish so we decided to go and see the exterior of the ladder and the dam on the river. A few of the girls saw a beaver that they were absolutely thrilled about and couldn't stop talking about! They had a really cool art display as part of the walk to the river. Here are a few of my favourite fish from the many there were. 
 







Finally when we went back into the building some fish had showed up! It was only two of them but I can proudly say that I saw two real salmon. I had no idea they were that big! 
 

 
We took full advantage of having the rental vehicle and zipped around town taking pictures at various places- including this school with a Batman symbol.

This is a log cabin skyscraper. enough said. 
 

I am a geocacher and I wanted to do a few while I was up North. Because the girls were curious what I was doing I taught them all about how it worked and they loved it! I successfully dropped off the two travel bugs I brought with me and logged a few finds so I was very happy! 
 


 
This painting was at the art gallery and I thought it was really pretty!


This was in a toy shop and I thought the hot air balloons were really adorable.


 
We went to the Klondike Rib and Salmon restaurant for dinner and it was delicious! The restaurant was really cute and very Pinterest-y. :) 


I had a grilled vegetable plate which was DELICIOUS! The garlic mashed potatoes were totally worth the wait in the restaurant.
 



This was such a great day! I was proud of myself for facing a fear of mine and the scenery was so worth the two minutes of terror. :) I also loved teaching the girls about geocaching. They were so excited to see how it works and I am certain they will go home and want to try it on their own! Tomorrow is another busy day full of fun sand adventure! 


No comments:

Post a Comment