Thursday, May 23, 2013

Guides on the Go at Camp!

I was lucky enough to go to camp with my mom and sister's Guide unit over the May long weekend. The weekend started off with a brand new experience, I saw a beaver! We have had a beaver dam out at camp for many years. but I have never seen the home owner- it was really cool. I tried to get a picture, but it didn't turn out too well.

Once all of the girls arrived they had a site tour, set up tents, and went over the rules and activities of camp. All of these Guides were first time tent campers so I was a little bit nervous about the weekend, but overall I was really impressed with how well they did.




There was a fire ban while we were out at camp so we had to come up with new and exciting ways to cook. One of my favourite recipes for camp are tacos in a bag or walking tacos. You need all of the typical things for tacos (ground beef, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, etc.) and a snack size bag of Doritos. You open up your bag of chips and then put all of the ingredients into the bag, roll it up, and shake the bag.
 


You open up the bag and grab a fork and then you eat up. It is a delicious snack and fun to make!
 

We went to the lake the next day and I got this beautiful shot! The lake at our campsite is one of my favourite places to be. I have stayed at the site with my family in the summer before and when I do I will grab a book and my journal and lay out on the dock all day. I love it!
 


There was a little frog in the lake that was super cute. The Guides were quite taken with the nature out at the lake. They found sticks, bugs, shells, and bones! We had a good opportunity to talk to the girls about conservation and the importance of looking after our earth. They did a really good job on skits about conservation and water safety.   
 
 
Another beautiful shot of the lake... I think I have them from all seasons now!
 
 
This was on the shore... EWW! The girls were very interested in it and I was happy to take pictures of it, but I had  NO idea that fish had that many teeth... it just gives me the creeps!
 
 
On a much happier note, we had a special surprise snack for dessert, ice cream sundaes! It was a lovely treat after a hard day of work learning knots and gadgets, orienteering, new songs, and camp cooking! It was  a very busy day.
 
 
 
 
Alternative to the traditional s'more. Instead of roasting the marshmallow and then adding graham crackers and chocolate you make the s'more and wrap it in a piece of tinfoil. Put the tinfoiled s'more in a tinfoil oven (with charcoal at the bottom) and cook it. It was super messy but delicious! 
 
 
The next morning the girls were still smiling which is always a good sign! These girls did not know each other that well (one of them is from another unit) but they were really good friends by the end of the weekend. It always make me happy to see friendships grow so much over just a few days.
 
 
We finished with a few games of Screaming Dinosaurs (great for getting energy out of kids, basically run and scream and when you run out of air you stop running. Whoever gets the farthest wins!), What time is it Mr. Wolf, and Red Light, Green Light.  
 
 
I had a lot of fun at camp and I was so glad to be able to go. Great job Guides, you did awesome!!

1 comment: