Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Multi-Faceted 2013: My Favourite Things!

I attended the Multi-Faceted Training in Red Deer this weekend and it was so much fun! I love meeting new people in Guiding and hearing their stories/opinions/experiences etc. within Girl Guides and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. Thank you so much to the Edmonton Area Training Team for organizing such a fun event- well done!

We had a bit of a "snow-pocalypse" a few days before Multi-Faceted so I was very happy for the bus we could take down to the training. There were about 22 of us on the bus and it was full of laughs and Big Bang Theory and amazing sunsets! I was sure the aliens were coming... has anyone see the sun do this before?! It is a bit blurry (going 100km/hr will do that) but that ray was going straight up- no camera tricks!
 
When we got to Red Deer there were some brief introductions and a snack. This next picture comes with a bit of a back story...I love soft pretzels and I don't get to have them very often so when I can it excites me greatly. :) One of the snacks was pretzels so I was standing in line and then the person in front of me got the very last pretzel! I was sad but the hotel staff said that they would bring more out right away. I waited at the front of the line for almost 20 minutes and then I got my pretzel and it was wonderful!!
 

The theme for Multi-Faceted was "My Favourite Things" which was great! A lot of the trainings and decorations included "brown paper packages, tied up with string" like this board of favourite songs, recipes, program activities, and games. It was really neat to see what other people thought and how many are my favourites too!
 



The sessions I did were really interesting and a lot of fun! I did "So You Think You Can Dance?" first and I really enjoyed learning the dances to a lot of the songs in Guiding songbooks which was very useful because my Sparks love to dance. The next session I did was called Night Prowl and we played some flashlight games, munched and crunched on Wintergreen Lifesavers, and played with glow sticks (picture below). I will take better pictures of glow sticks in action later on, but this is the best I could do...



The Standing Committees of Alberta Council did a fun little Jeopardy game about what they do which was a lot of fun and it got pretty intense. I was pretty proud of myself for knowing most of the answers.
 



Part of the evening was a craft round robin and it was a lot of fun! We made (from left to right) a catapult out of Popsicle sticks and mini elastics to launch mini marshmallows. This was a lot of fun and I was on clean up duty for that station- there were marshmallows absolutely everywhere! We also made cork boats, tiaras out of plastic hairbands, pipe cleaners, and beads, and mod podged shapes on rocks for our campfire. The ruler charm is my favourite because "Guiding Rules!" (I also love puns...) The last craft is a miniature weaving loom- this one was very therapeutic.  
 
 
 
My favourite part of the entire event was the campfire we had in the evening. I did not take any pictures because I wanted to full experience it but I could not resist to record this song- Ira Congo- it is so beautiful. Take a listen!
 
 
 
Sunday morning we had one more session, I did a session all about technology which was really interesting! I got a whole bunch of new apps for my iPad from apps that identify leaves, animal prints, birds, and scat, to how to tie knots and campfire recipes. It was really interesting and I am looking forward to trying them out.
 
Overall it was a great event. I had a lot of fun and learned new things too!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment