Sunday, October 14, 2012

Camping Adviser Workshop!

I spent the day out at Sandy Lake, an Edmonton Area campsite with other camping advisers from around the city to have a meeting, gain some skills, and have a lot of fun! We started off the day with a meeting where we talked about what we want to accomplish this year, we revamped our job description, and shared what we are doing in our districts to promote camping. One enormous project that is happening right now is a nature centre out at the waterfront. We got to see what has happened so far and what will happen in the future. I am excited to see how it comes along and what it will look like when it is finished! The rest of this post will be pictures and what they represent. Enjoy!

This is scat. Of course not real scat, rather cocoa powder, oats, and a little bit of water. This awesome hands on activity gives kids the chance to experiment with the different kinds of scat, what animals they come from, and how to identify them in nature.
 
 My mom thought it would be funny to pretend to eat the scat and that was just a bit too gross for me, hence the face. :)

 These are painted rocks for parts of track matching games. We did a white base coat on the rock first then we put a colour on top of the white. Then we used a track stamp and an ink pad on a piece of tissue paper to get the stamp. Next we cut out the tracks and glued them to the rocks and voila! 

We also started nature journals that would record what kinds of plants are out at the campsite. I was kind of in a zone when I was doing this. I guess I was really at peace with nature.
 
Here is my page in the nature journal.
 
We kept hearing meowing underneath the step of the building we were staying in. A little kitten popped out every so often and she was having a hard time standing up. We fed her a little bit of milk and mushed up chicken from lunch and she wolfed it down- she must have been starving! We waited for most of the day for the mother to return, but she didn't so I sat and watched her and eventually she came and let me pick her up. The people who stayed over also said that she cried all night outside so we knew that mom wasn't coming back.
 
 Look how tiny she is! We snuggled her and played with her for the rest of the day and mom and I took her home with us because as an abandoned kitten she would not survive alone.

 Double rainbow! We had quite a strong storm in the afternoon that started out with this beautiful sight over my favourite place at the campsite- the Gazebo.

 I love that it looks like the rainbow is coming out of the gazebo!

 And here is the best part of the day, my new kitten! My family has decided to call her Madeline (after the famous children's story character- also an orphan). We think she is about five weeks old and she is the tiniest, cutest little thing!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment